Monday, February 11, 2008

Bonsai !!!!!





No political ranting and raving from me today.---your welcome. Yesterday, I started to work on my bonsai trees . Working on my bonsai trees is like therapy to me. It always amazes me how much better I feel after a hour or so of pruning and caring for them. No matter what I have on my mind ,after about five minutes of working on them and I forget about everything else. I have been doing bonsai for about fifeteen years.I started out really gung -ho and quickly had about thirty or more trees. Over the years, periods of neglect have left me with only about eight trees left. The small pots can dry up very fast ,on hot summer days and freeze quickly in the winter. A half dozen trees is plenty enough for me as it is just a casual hobby for me. The one on the rock is my favorite.It is a chinese elm growing over a piece of petrified wood. It started out as a tiny little twig fifeteen years ago and is coming along nicely. I figure that in two or three hundred years I will really have a beautiful tree . My freind Caveman also took up the hobby and has really gotten serious about it. He spends allot of time working on his collection of a couple hundred trees. He really has some great ones and I will post some photos sometime. If you are at all interested ,I urge you to take bonsai up as a hobby ,but they are like a fish tank, they demand constant care. I espcecally like the decideuos variety because you get to watch them them change with the passing of the seasons. Hope you like the photos. Remember time is a great teacher,unfortunately it kills all its students.

No comments: